SB-220/SB-221 Differences

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Fri Jun 25 01:09:35 EDT 2004

I was the one who did the engineering on the modification (for both the
200 and 220) but darned if I can remember all the details (old age and
too many years ago).  I do know I eliminated the 10M band position (i.e.
went to a 4-pole bandswitch) and (I think) put a LPF in the input (about
a 24 MHz cutoff).  I do remember having to modify the input network a
bit to accomodate the impedance changes due to the LPF. In hindsight, I
went overboard and we (Heathkit) should have just put a mechanical stop
on the bandswitch and deleted the input network on 10M.  Probably would
have made the FCC happy.  I suspect some of the other old timers from
Heathkit on the list could provide a little bit more explicit record of
the changes.  In fact, it might be a good idea to do it for posterity sake.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY
'Heathkit Engineer from 1977 to 1981'