Paint

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 29 12:23:02 EDT 2004

Actually, I have the formula and have put it out to
everyone on this reflector, as well as other
reflectors, several times during the past 14 months
(since I first got the paint matched)!  This is for
the gray that Heath used on the DX-20, DX-35, DX-40,
and many of the small accessory boxes (like the CA-1,
AM-2, QF-1, etc.).  Also, a portion of the DX-100
cabinet was painted with this paint.

This formula works for the latex enamel and for the
latex acryllic.  I understand that Sherwin-Williams
can work from it for other types of paint.  I use
satin finish which come out VERY close to the original
finish.  The forumula is for one quart of the latex
enamel.

Deep Base 6405-13974

Colorant      oz    32    64    128

B1 Black       -    24     -     -
N1 Raw Umber   -    40     -     -
R3 Magenta     -     3     -     -

If you wish a higher gloss finish, then I suggest
overspraying with Crystal Clear Krylon.  DO NOT use
Rustoleum, etc.  Those "clear" sprays actually have a
yellow tint and do NOT work well at all!  I learned
that the "hard" way!

For a crackle finish, I use Rusteoleum American
Accents Stone Creations.  The gray version works the
best.  It seems that each color has a slightly
different texture.  You need to practice a little
before using this paint.  However, with practice you
can get a very good crackle finish.  Frankly, I have
not had consistant results with the various crackle
(or wrinkle) paint sold at automobile supply stores,
etc.  Those haven't be uniform, or don't repeat well.

In fact, on the crystal door covers that I make for
the DX-35 and DX-40 units, I have sprayed 9 doors at
the same time (same temperature, same conditions,
etc.).  Out of the 9, maybe 2 or 3 come out OK.  The
rest have varying crackle and even crackle on just
part of the door!  Since the doors have just a little
over 10 square inches of surface one would expect much
better quality from the paint!

Thus, since I have not had any good crackle paint
since Illinois Bronze stopped making it quite a number
of years ago (probably due to OSHA and EPA
requirements from the chemicals used to produce the
crackle), I had to find something that works every
time!

Glen, K9STH

--- Don Melcher <don at HFRADIO.COM> wrote:

SW should be able to give you the formula - maybe you
could do that and post it as it is possible that we
may not HAVE an original piece the correct color (my
DX20 cabinet was repainted green!)

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites