AT1 Question

Rinkie & Ron Pollack rinkies at ADELPHIA.NET
Tue Mar 23 12:27:14 EST 2004

I am about finished restoring an AT1 in nice cosmetic condition, but someone
has converted it to a 6146 final.  (Why, I don't know!)  It works great with
a crystal, but when I short out the cathode to ground on the ocsillator tube
to use with the VFO, as instructed, the plate current pegs without the key
being pressed.  I'm not too technical a type, but it seems that perhaps the
final is self oscillating? Is there a way to use the VFO without bypassing
these parts?

I would like to convert this back to 6L6 operation, but don't know if the
amplifier coils have been modified.  Anyone know anything about this
conversion, or how to tell if the coils have been modified?  I have a copy
of an old QST article describing conversion to a sweep tube (I think) that
requires coil mods.

Thanks for any advice!

Ron K2RP