Test equipment

Stephen C. Finch stevef88 at MSN.COM
Mon May 3 14:50:51 EDT 2004

Ron,

The DB scale is most useful to me. I use the AC VTVM when I am measuring
noise floor, minimum discernable signal, and 3rd order intercepts by
measuring a + 3db increase in audio output.  For sinusoidal wave forms the
meter is calibrated to read RMS or 70.7% of the peak voltage.  For complex
wave forms, the AC voltage measures average voltage.

I have an IT28 capacitor checker.  I built a simple capacitor checker that I
use for all types of caps other than electrolytics.  The homebrew checker is
much easier to use than the IT28.  However, the IT28 is very good to measure
several characteristics of electrolytics.

I don't have an OL1 scope so I cannot comment on it.

The ID101 is a very handy item.  I have an IO4105 that I used the ID101
with.  It allows me to see both input and output of amplifiers and mixers
that I build for QRP rigs.  It also allows me to independently select
between two inputs individually to see "full-scale" indications.  Makes a
cheap scope a dual input scope.  Unfortunately, the bandwidth is only 5 mhz
so it is good for looking at a wave forms up to about 15 mhz.  You cannot
read voltages beyond 5 mhz, but it will still work to show wave forms at
higher frequencies.

None of the items are particularly rare although I don't see the AC VTVM and
ID101 at too many hamfests/swaprests.

Steve
AIØW