Cantenna Oil

Randy Kaeding rkaeding at HEATHKIT.COM
Wed May 26 12:44:56 EDT 2004

Under no circumstances should you use motor oil. I don't care what the
transmitter power output is.

For anything 100 watts or less, you can probably get away with no oil at
all. Just don't run power into it for long periods.

Although mineral oil can be used, the power/time rating is decreased over
transformer oil.

The far best thing to use is transformer oil. Several years ago I was able
to get a gallon directly from our local power company office. I simply
called up the I&M  (Indiana & Michigan) Eelectric Company office in downtown
Benton Harbor and the man I talked to said "come on down." He was very
accomodating and even showed me how they run an arc test on the oil. And
best of all, it was free! Even if they don't have it in bulk like our local
office did back then, they probably have some old transformers sitting
around that they could drain some off of. At any rate, just be careful with
it because it might contain PCBs.

Randy, K8TMK
"One of the Hams (still) at Heathkit"