need help

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 12 13:09:32 EST 2004

Are the rotors actually bad or has the starting
capacitor in the control box gone bad?  The vast
majority of problems with rotors not working can be
traced to the starting capacitor.  You can get new
capacitors from places like W. W. Granger or from any
motor repair facility.  The originals are like 60 volt
around 130 mfd non-polarized.  Ones from Granger and
motor repair shops are going to be 110 - 130 volt and
will last much longer.

Also, in a "pinch", you can take two "normal"
polarized electrolytic capacitors with about twice the
capacitance and hook the positive leads together.
Then hook the negative leads to where the original
starting capacitor was connected.  Although this "fix"
usually doesn't last as long as replacing the
capacitor with a "proper" non-polarized starting type
I have known such to work for several years.

Again, unless there is something mechanically wrong
with the rotors (and if they were working when you
took them down this is unlikely), the usual cause of
problems is the starting capacitor.

Glen, K9STH

--- John Maynard <k7ny at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

---------------------------------
I haaaaave two rotors that were taken down one and
three years ago respectivly. I am in the process of
putting up my tower again and find out that both
rotors have gone south. I have heard of the the rotor
doctor but can't access his web page as it is not
avalable. Can some one get me the name of someone who
is availble to look at a HAM M  and HAM IV rotor?

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth