Heathkit SB-102 LSB problem

Ed Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Mon Nov 22 11:11:10 EST 2004

Al,

For whatever reason, those HC-6U crystals used in the "SB" line can---and
DO!---change frequency over time...

If the audio sounds tinny on only ONE sideband (i.e. either upper, or
lower), cast suspicions onto the appropriate sideband generating
crystal...if the frequency calibration (i.e. zero set) has "...gone south"
on any band(s), suspect the heterodyne crystal for that band(s).

You can readily confirm the EXACT frequency of any of those crystals by
using a short piece of wire as an antenna, placed next to the crystal in
question. Hook the other end to the antenna terminal of a good, calibrated,
digital read-out receiver with general coverage. Then COMPARE what the
receiver says at zero beat to what's stamped on the crystal.

If there is a significant difference between the two, I'm afraid it's time
to give JAN Crystals in Fort Myers a buzz...

Good luck, &

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ