Keyer paddles needed

John Farrington jfarren at SAMLINK.COM
Tue Nov 30 15:58:38 EST 2004

On 11/29/04 Jeff Kelly wrote on the Heath list:

>Can anyone help me with a source for a paddle for the 1410 keyer
>and a paddle for the uMatic keyer also?

In regard to the Heathkit SA-5010 uMatic keyer:

You can cut paddles for it out of aluminum stock that's the right
thickness - if you like I can send you an outline.

However, capacitive touch paddles didn't catch on, and there's a
good reason - they were a pain to use because their sensitivity
to touch constantly varied with humidity, finger pressure, amount
of salt and sweat on the fingers, the position of the user's arm,
and the type of table top it rested on. There's a sensitivity
adjustment pot, but that was largely an exercise in futility.
It's far easier to use conventional paddles plugged into the rear
of the keyer.

If you want to suffer their idiosyncrasies regardless, you can
reduce the amount of capacitive variablity by putting a single
bare metal sheet on the table top that reaches under both the
keyer and your bare arm.

73

John    KE5ZB