Need help designing attenuator pad to help signal tracing anHW-12A

w6cux@earthlink.net w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Oct 4 20:31:29 EDT 2004

Bernie
Your math is correct. However, I don't think your approach is practical.
The leakage through the case of the generator, down the power line and
around the attenuator would defeat any attempt at precision. RF generators
made for this kind of measurements include lots of internal shielding and
filtering to assure that a known level of signal appears at the output jack.
And they cost a lot of money.

If you decide to proceed anyway, you should make the attenuators as
several 20 db pads and series them to get the 60 or 80 db. An ARRL
handbook of the 70's have a good design.

73, Stu W6CUX