Heathkit cult

BMW wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Thu Oct 14 14:20:33 EDT 2004

When I'm not trying to get DZKit off the ground, I work at Agilent, which
you may know is a big electronics company that used to be called
Hewlett-Packard. We have had a real hard time finding engineers who know
anything about soldering or who have done anything on their own. The lack of
kit products in the 90's has really put a damper on the ability of the
industry to find engineers who know electronics innately by virtue of loving
electronics, building kits, making stuff from the Handbook and so on. I'm
still not convinced that there aren't still people out there who want to
learn by doing, whether it's audio, ham radio, computers, video or whatever.
I do know it's hard to find kids who want to tear open a Gameboy to see how
it works rather than sit there in front of a screen mesmerized by the
graphics. But we have to try.

Kits of the future will not be like kits of the past. They may be largely
integration projects, where you treat whole boards as a "part" and just
finish the wiring harness, if any, assemble the chassis, install the boards
and then turn it on, calibrate it, install firmware and software and let 'er
rip. But I think that can be pretty fun too. And as with all kits, knowing
how to put it together means you also know how to take it apart to add to it
or work on it. Anyone tried to take an FT-1000MP apart lately? Jeez.

Brian, W0DZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of MIKE BRYCE
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:46 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Heathkit cult

heathkit's time has come and gone...

I just wonder how many two meter transceiver kits Ten Tec sells each month
at $265 a pop in kit form? ($200 for the five watt basic radio +$65 for the
10 watt internal amp)

that's bare bone, 10 watt output radio

you can get a Icom with 75+watts output, zillions of memories and computer
control for $170...

Another example?

Sure, the Elecraft K2. Great transceiver.... but by the time you option it
out to a useable radio, you're talking in excess of $1500...for a kit

the K1, will set you back nearly $450 for a complete rig..that does two
bands.

get a Icom 703 for $399 from HRO...

Ok, let's talk on a smaller scale, no microprocessor controlled rigs and so
on. Even simple qrp transceivers would be a hard sell. Can you imagine the
price one would have to have to duplicate the HW-8?

As much as I enjoy my green radios, clearly the time of large scale complex
kits are just for wide eyed dreamers..

for not only do you have to pay to kit up the pieces parts, you must also
maintain a repair shop to fix the stuff some goof messed up. talk to anyone
whom worked in the heathkit repair department the time and energy it took to
maintain that part of the company.

It's a hassle when selling kits of any sort. I know. Been there. Done that.

there's nothing like getting a call at 7pm on a sunday evening and having to
tell the guy on the other end  that diodes must be place with the banded end
of the diode matching the banded end on the silk screen on the pcb.

Mike Bryce, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems

http://www.seslogic.com
http://www.theheathkitshop.com