Need help getting HW-12A going.

Bernie Murphy bernard.murphy at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Sep 13 22:10:30 EDT 2004

I need the voltage and resistance charts for the HW-12A.  Unfortunately, the
bama site does not have the complete manual for the HW12A  -- only for the
HW-12.

The radio suffers from low receive sensitivity and no output on transmit.
Basic resistance checks as per the manual have checked out OK.  Signals that
should be an S-9 are at the S-1 level.  The tuning is razor sharp.
Tubes check out OK on a good tube tester. The. HP23 power supply works with
an HW-100 so that is not the issue.

Since this radio has all the original tubes, I suspect that the radio never
worked and was not used by the previous owners.  I suspect the problem is in
the IF stages or perhaps someone "tweaked:" the IF stages? You can never
tell with a kit --  a wiring error is always a posibility.

If someone has some scope traces on a working HW12A that would make the
troubleshooting much easier.

Any help or suggestions getting this 40 year old radio working would be
appreciated.

73, Bernie, VE3FWF  Ottawa, Canada.