PS HP-1144 Output fuse F2 blows on power up

Randy Kaeding rkaeding at HEATHKIT.COM
Wed Sep 22 15:13:35 EDT 2004

Earlier HP-1144s did not contain a crowbar circuit. I don't remember if
later models did contain the circuit, or if it was only offered as a
modification kit. I do remember adding one to my HP-1144 during the
engineering phase.

Randy, K8TMK

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Murray Leshner
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 2:08 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: PS HP-1144 Output fuse F2 blows on power up

Ugh, I recall seeing this working at Heath but memory is full of cobwebs.

1) I assume this happens with the SB/HW-104 plugged into the PS. Find a safe
way to rig the Xcvr-PS interconnect to turn on the PS with no Xcvr plugged
in.

See if it still blows fuse. If not, the problem is in the transceiver, and a
likely cause is one or more shorted final output transistors.

If it blows with no transceiver, inspect for any damage or debris in the
regulator circuitry. I don't remember if there is a crowbar/SCR circuit in
there...a possible problem.

Don't overlook something 'dumb' like a damaged cable or stray strands in the
connector.

Murray