SB-220

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 23 16:24:30 EDT 2004

If you are using a DX-100B or an Apache it really
isn't worth the trouble to try and use a linear
amplifier.  Remember that the most that you can put
out on AM these days is 375 watts of carrier (with
100% modulation this represents 1500 watts PEP
output).  Going from the around 100 watts output from
either the DX-100 or Apache to 200 watts isn't going
to make a "hill of beans" difference on the other end
in terms of how well that the other station is going
to receive you.

You will have to use an attenuator to reduce the
output from either transmitter to drive the SB-220
properly because you really can't reduce the power
from either transmitter enough without the very good
chance of distorted audio.

Frankly, all that you are going to do is to increase
your electric bill without helping your signal enough
to warrant the effort.

For a very simple modification that really helps with
how the Apache audio sounds take a look at either of
the websites the URL of which appear at the end of
this message.  The Apache is famous for "scratchy
sounding audio and the replacement of only 3
capacitors really improves how the audio "sounds".

Glen, K9STH

--- lgrindel <lgrindel at MAIL.EV1.NET> wrote:

I was wondering if anyone in the group has any
experience or advice on using an SB-220 amp for AM
operation. I have heard it is o.k. if you keep the
drive down, so you are only putting out 200 or 300
watts. I am using a DX-100B, and soon an Apache.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth