Company required to provide schematics .....

Murray Leshner murrayatwork at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 27 23:30:08 EDT 2004

I'd be surprised if there is such a singular law. It probably varies by
state. The only things I have ever heard workign at a manufacturer are a
requirement for providing parts.  I imagine there must be some requirement
for service or replacement, or maybe just warranty, but I've never heard it
mentioned verbally. Certainly warranty rights vary by state; we've probably
noted this on warranty statements, (if we read them).

I have heard of other service legal issues in situations where a
customer-manufacturer contract requires it, but those were very specific
mission-critical kinds of things.

I am not a lawyer, however.

When I worked at Heath everyone talked about a 7 year parts availability
law, but there were a lot of urban legends there, like a claim that 80% of
all men have some degree of color-blindness (not company official statement,
just something a fellow tech support guy told me there. I believed that for
years (it sure seemed like it working in the Heath service dept!), but read
in the last year it's more like a few per cent, not 80 (!?!)

So maybe some things are discussed a great deal without actual knowledge of
the law(s), and becoem distorted.

I ordered a schematic for a piece of lab equipment once, and they made me
sign and mail back a multi-page secrecy agreement first! Some companies may
go out of their way to provide service support while to protect their
proprietary info.

Murray