Cantenna Fluid? Need help finding some.

WD Milner heath at CAISTEAL.NET
Sun Apr 17 14:43:10 EDT 2005

At 2005-04-15 Friday 23:00 -0400, you wrote:
>I have purchased a nice Heathkit "Cantenna" that is empty.  What is the
>accepted standard for fluid to put into this thing?  I may hit 500 Watts

I have heard of people using everything from mineral oil to single weight
non-detergent engine oil. And numerous arguments against each. *grin*

I use regular transformer oil in mine. A quuick trip to the local power
company depot and a chat got me a couple of gallons for free. What didn't
go into my two cantennas makes great penetrating oil around the workbench.

I ask because I am assuming 'real transformer oil' (ideal, I suppose)
>might be hard to find --- or is it?  And does the 'real' stuff contain
>any PCB's anymore?  Finally where would you get the 'real' stuff anyway
>--- if there is a safe version of that?

Transformer oil hasn't had PCB's in it since the mid-1970's according to a
friend who works for the power company, so unless you are getting drainage
from an older transformer that shouldn't be a problem.

73, Dean
VE1CBF