Sick Marauder

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 21 11:38:26 EDT 2005

Check the tubes in the final amplifier.  If they are
6146B / 8298A replace them with 6146 / 6146A / 8298
tubes.  If they are 6146B tubes there is a good chance
that the final is "taking off".  The 6146B is really a
different tube from the earlier versions and many
transmitters designed for the earlier versions are
very "unhappy" with the 6146B.

For the article on the 6146 family of tubes that was
in Electric Radio a while back (and published in
several other publications since then) go to either
website that are listed at the end of this message.

A 110 watts output is a bit "much" for a pair of 6146
tubes.  They can put out that much power but the life
of the tubes will be greatly reduced.  Cut them back
to 90 to 100 watts on 80 meters and 75 to 80 watts on
10 meters.  The guy on the other end won't know the
difference but you tubes will last several times
longer.

Glen, K9STH

--- lgrindel <lgrindel at MAIL.EV1.NET> wrote:

I now have around 110 watts into a dummy load, but
still get no indication of grid drive. Also when I key
it through the mic, (PTT), I get full output.
Adjustment of the carrier null and balance make no difference.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth
http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco