SA-2040 antenna tuner: What's worst SWR it can tune out?

Robert Myers rsmyers at ROGERS.COM
Sat Apr 23 22:25:46 EDT 2005

Hello,

I will be getting an Heathkit SA-2040 antenna tuner.  I'm not too familiar with it.  I am wondering about its robustness when it comes to handling very wildly improvised "HF antennas" --- note the quotes :)

I am curious, what is the worst SWR that you can be facing (without the SA-2040 on the coax line at all) that can be correct to something reasonable when you introduce the SA-2040 and tune it?  Does anyone know what the worst SWR the Heathkit SA-2040 can tune out --- to below 2:1, say.  Does this, "worst curable SWR before attempting any tuning," vary with the band you're operating on?

[I'm not sure if this particular SA model antenna tuner is the one that does not (NOT) have a, "bypass-the-tuner coax-switch," to go straight through like its not even there --- that's why I'm mentioning the procedure as taking it out of the circuit then introducing it to see what it can do with the SWR.  BTW, can anyone tell me about the bypass switch, if any?]

Like say, for some reason, you are hooked up to your eves trough, or your clothes line, or your ladder, or something weird like that (maybe due to an emergency, or just to experiment) --- I knew a guy that did the eves trough thing.  He had to.

Thanks,
73
--- Rob
VE3 JQL