HW-101 Frying at Power-up

Joe Hutchens Wj5mh at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 30 00:53:03 EDT 2005

I've been working on an HW-101, and have an  intermittent problem that seems
to only happen after the radio has been sitting  cold for several hours.  When
I first turn it on, the radio sounds like  it's arcing.  When it first
happened, I just finished making resistance  checks listed in the manual, and had
left the radio in tune.

When I got  around to turning it on, I heard the aching.  I shut it down,
flipped the  mode switch to USB, and reapplied power.  The radio turned on fine.
 However, the arching has happed twice since (at power up) without the radio
being in tune or CW.

I guess the first step is to turn the radio on with  the lights out to see if
I can see something.  I do notice that the pilot  lamps dim slightly when
this happens, so the radio is drawing some excessive  current.  There isn't any
smoke, and I can't smell anything burning.   Has anyone had a similar problem
with their SB or HW  rigs?

Thanks,
Joe