KL-1 help

Edward B Richards zuu6k at JUNO.COM
Fri Dec 9 11:11:25 EST 2005

Hi all;

It is old helpless again. I mentioned before that I am building a KL-1
clone (almost). I bought a W7FG manual to be guided by. In it I find
several contradictions, all on a pictorials  labeled "figure 8" and
"figure 10".  These pages contradict the rest of the manual in several
areas. I wonder if these pages are later and should supercede the rest of
the manual. The discrepancies are:

Figure 10: Shows a pi section filter for the bias supply using 2 ea 8 mfd
capacitors. One on each side of the choke, making it a capacitor input
filter. The rest of the manual calls for a choke input filter using only
one 8 mfd capacitor at the output of the choke. I also wonder how a
transformer secondary supplying 175 volts AC to a bridge rectifier and
choke input filter, gets to be -275 volts at the tubes grid. Where does
the additional 100 volts come from?

Figure 8:
1. Shows the screen grids of each tube separated and each being fed
through a VHF suppressor choke. The rest of the manual shows all 4 screen
grid pins tied together with no choke. What is the value of the new
chokes?

2. Shows the grid bias RF choke 45-50 having 4 pi's. The rest of the
manual shows only 2 pi's. What is the value of the new choke?

Any help with these questions will be most appreciated. Thank you and
Merry Christmas.

73, Ed Richards, K6UUZ
Simi Valley, California, 93065
Home of Air Force 1 Pavilion