Input vs. Output

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon at MOSCOW.COM
Sat Dec 10 21:05:28 EST 2005

Bob wrote:

> However, why did they specify input power?

The reason was that ANY ham could easily and accurately measure
plate voltage and plate current, then CALCULATE power input, but at
that time, simple means of accurately measuring output POWER were
either very expensive, or not otherwise available.

I can remember when the first few articles were written concerning how
to measure output power at HF with relatively simple instruments, and it
was considered new and exciting. Most people didn't bother with it,
since the earlier method was both easier, and adequately fulfilled FCCs
requirements.

There was, of course, the BIRD wattmeter, which no ham of my
aquaintance could afford.

After that, the PEP problem became important, which in order to
accurately measure it, required the availability of cheap solid-state
devices and the knowledge of how to use them.

Again, I remember the first article written in QST on how to build an
accurate PEP reading meter.

Ken Gordon W7EKB (Who was born before there was hair...)