Oscillator types...

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Fri Dec 30 19:52:41 EST 2005

Could I have some comments on your experiences with
the modified Pierce Crystal oscillator?

I seem to have developed  a great love for the Grid-plate
oscillator, also sometimes (mis-)named a Colpitts circuit.

My QSD probolems with the DX60 seem to stem from the
use of a modified Pierce oscillator which is very finicky.
Some of my crystals barely oscillate, while others do ALMOST OK.
I wonder if the series cap that connects over to the screen grid is
open or shorted or something.  It looks like that 0.001 uF cap is
over on the crystal selector switch and a little hard to get to.

Has anyone done any mods to the keying circuit on a DX60?
I have read that the keying is too HARD on some DX60s.
MINE Is too soft, or non-existent it seems!

I have only about about 645V DC unkeyed and 605V DC when
keyed. Does that sound about right?
The low B+ is running at 320V and 285V DC. Sound reasonable?