Sb-301

Chris Campbell clcampbl at TRAVERSE.COM
Sun Feb 6 21:59:42 EST 2005

Bob And Bettina Groh wrote:

> Chris,
>
>   Hopefully the 'smoke' is from an overheated (and failed)
> electrolytic and not a nuked power transformer (which failed because
> of a bad electrolytic). If the former, you should be able to replace
> the cap(s) [more later] - if the latter, you are probably left with a
> parts rig as power transformers are hard to find.

This is a question from a different Chris.  I recall reading somewhere
about fusing the HV secondary of  power transformers on tube equipment,
to protect against filter capacitor failure.  There must be some
quick'n'easy way to calculate the size of the fuse for various
applications, but for some reason I'm drawing a mental blank right now.

I also recall seeing somebody suggest placing a standard small lamp on
the CT of the secondary, to serve as a fuse.

Does anybody have suggestions for either one?

Chris Campbell