Sb-301

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Feb 10 10:01:10 EST 2005

Dan -

The problem is that when that fuse opens, the full HV AC, PLUS whatever
inductive kick the transformer may have left, appears ACROSS the little
fuse that is rated at 125 VAC.  When that fuse vaporizes, as it will in
a short-circuit condition,  the metal is deposited on the inside of the
fuse cartridge, and what usually happens is that the whole thing
explodes.  The circuit is also not as well protected, since the voltage
continues to arc across any gap that appears in the fusible link.  HV
fuses are much larger / longer.

A better HV fuse than the 3AG is an inch or so of #30 wire (or whatever
size will fuse at the desired current) across a terminal strip.   A good
source is a single strand of wire from an 18 gauge line cord.   This is
usually around #34.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake C-Line Service Manual