Power supply problem?

Richard Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Jan 5 09:52:09 EST 2005

Larry,

I assume you've checked your grounds?  If the "ground" return is
through 12 volts of AC, that would explain the hum/ distortion
symptoms.

I usually hook an external chassis-to-chassis ground on power supply
to transceiver, primarily for safety's sake.  Don't like the thought
of a small ground wire in an old cable being the only thing between
me and 800+ volts between the two chassis. Don't want to become the
return "ground" connection.

Use a voltmeter to see if you have any potential between the two
chassis, especially 12 VAC or something more serious.

Are any of the three supplies equipped with a safety (grounded third
prong) power cord?  Are you getting a ground loop between that third
prong and your antenna coax?

Let us know what you find.

73 es gd hunting,

Rich