SB-110a help

Dave Leisman wb8baf at VOYAGER.NET
Thu Jan 27 12:25:45 EST 2005

I have a Sb-110a and need some help with the transmitter.  Thereceiver
is one of the best I have heard, even rivaling another 6meter rig in
the shack, but for some reason I can't get the transmitter to work.

I am using an HP-23 power supply running through a bird wattmeter and
into a Cantenna.  I am using a Tektronics scope with a Hewlett Packard
signal generator in addition to a normal DVM.  All the voltages and
resistances check ok or within nominal ranges when compared to the
manual.

I have measured the rf coming from the LMO during transmit and have a
strong signal, no problem.  Good signal through the early stages up to
the balanced modulator which is where it gets touchy.  I get a signal
up to primary of T-5 on the Carrier Generator board, but nothing on the
secondary side of the transformer. I check continuity between the
associated pins of T-5 (pins 1 to 2, and pins 3 to 4)and all seems well
and there doesn't appear to be a short grounding the signal to the
outer can.

The band pass filter works just fine, and the tubes are all in good
shape too.

But this situation with T-5 is a mystery to me and is keeping this
great rig off the air.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Dave, W8QW
--