HW 101 Audio

Stu Lyon w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 14 21:37:01 EDT 2005

May be a gassy AF output stage. Measure between the grid and cathode of V14B
with a VTVM or HiZ DVM. Should always read O or negative on grid. Positive
indicates bad tube. Or just replace V14.

73, Stu W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
w6cux at earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "James A. Sutherin" <jsutherin at FLOYDBROWNE.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:21 PM
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] HW 101 Audio

I'm working on an HW 101 and have it operating in SSB what I would
consider ok except for the audio. The audio sounds like it is distorted.
I checked the audio out of the phone jack which sounded the same as the
speaker. I have noticed the audio qulaity improves some when the RF gain
is decreased. So from this observation I would suspect over driving of
the audio amp or product dectector. Is there any readings or
measurements that I should look for that might identify the probelm?

Thanks in advance
Jim K8DHC