SB-650 display wrong when '303 running with '401

Robert Myers rsmyers at ROGERS.COM
Thu Jul 28 08:55:22 EDT 2005

My SB-303, with SB-650 digital display, has a weird problem when working
connected to my SB-401.  The problem only occurs when the SB-401 is powered
on, with the Function switch set to STBY, TRCV, or TRAN (and transmitter not
keyed).  I am running things LOCKED - both frequencies controlled by the
'303.

For a BAND setting of 28.0 on the '303, the '650 does not display the right
frequency (all other BAND settings get the frequency displayed accurately)
--- and the incorrect frequency shown bounces around.

What's even stranger is that on the 28.0 setting, when I move the '401 from
STBY to TRCV then to TRAN, the displayed (wrong) frequency changes --- but
it is still always wrong.  When the '303 is set to any band other than 28.0,
the frequency displayed on the '650 does not vary as the '401 has its
function switch moved from STBY to TRCV or to TRAN - and it is always
correct.

When I pull out the HET Oscillator cable going to the '401 from the '303 the
problem is 'solved,' the display is always correct.  Obviously, you can't
operate like that (when both using '303's frequency).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  (The LMO, BFO and HFO
signals going to the '650 are the tapped off the same signals going to the
'401 with a 100 Ohm resistor is series as per the manual.)

Thanks,

--- Rob

VE3JQL