Wagging DX-35 Meter

Richard A. (Tony) Stalls bc342n at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 6 00:44:43 EDT 2005

Wow!!!  The response, both on and off the list was overwhelming.  Thanks
guys!!!

Okay, here's the synopsis.  The Shurite-type meters have no damping and
wag, but some do it more than others.  I've noticed it, both with my
Johnson Viking Adventurer and DX-35 in the mid 50's, but I don't remember
anything nearly as bad as this one has been doing.  I remember a bounce or
two tuning for grid drive and not much of a problem with plate tuning
because of the relatively gradual current rise.  I've had a couple of
Adventurers in the last few years and have had similar experiences to my
recollections of my youth, but this DX-35 was out of control.

Take a look at http://www.infodotinc.com/neets/book3/7d.htm from my Google
search of "d'Arsonval meter" and "damping" that appears to be a segment
from some kind of training course.

I opened up the meter this evening and found that there's a screw below the
coil that's apparently for bearing tension.  I tightened it slightly and it
seemed to reduce the oscillation, but unfortunately it appears that I
tightened it too tightly because when I mounted it back, it stuck.

I don't know if this is a possibility, but the results of your good counsel
and some homework are that the best solution, beside's Stu's excellent
suggestion to replace it with a DX-40,  may be to find a meter movement
that can be adapted to the original meter face.  This may be too far-out an
idea, but we'll see.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Again guys, thanks much for your input.

VY 73,
Tony
K4KYO