SB-650 Results

Charles Seitz cseitz at ENTER.NET
Mon Jun 27 08:30:22 EDT 2005

I got my driver chips from Mouser.  Look  for NTE 7441.
For now, you might try one of the bad chips in the left most digit.  It
doesn't need to decode all of the numbers.

My big problem is locating a replacement for the large neon bulb.
I'm using a less than adequate NE-2 for now.

My pet peeves for the SB-650 are:

  a) The power switch that isn't flush with the panel
  b) The cheap plastic bezel with the mold marks and the simulated
      chrome trim that gets gooy and disolves off.

Those were probably engineered by 'management'.

----- Original Message -----
From: "TChesek at Epix.Net" <tchesek at EPIX.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 15 06
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] SB-650 Results

Thanks to all that offered information. I found 3 bad driver chips. I
"borrowed" three from my bench frequency counter which uses the same nixies
and drivers. I had issues locking onto the correct display values above 40
meters. I decided to go back to the basics. It had been a few years since
giving my HW-100 a going over, so I cleaned all switch contacts, tested all
tubes ( found only 1 weak) and cleaned tube pins/sockets. My SB-650 is now
working like a champ. All I need now is a source for the three 7441 driver
chips..

73,
Tom K3TVC