Need help with HP-23A

Richard Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Sat May 14 01:10:21 EDT 2005

Hi Janusz,

You've got a short circuit in there some place.  Your note implies
that the transformer itself is OK and the power supply only blows
fuses when the diodes are connected.  I am also assuming you have
ruled out a bad connecting cable or a filament line short.

Check both sets of diodes for shorts (and their polarity if the
supply has been worked on). A VOM can be used to check the unplugged
unit for shorts or leakage to ground.

Use a variac and monitor the current draw as the voltage is SLOWLY
increased.  A small wattage 120 volt lamp in series with the input
can also be used to limit current for testing.  A shorted diode will
show up very quickly even with just a few volts of AC input.  A bad
electrolytic or grounded choke  also.

Check each connection to see if a terminal has been accidentally grounded.

I bought an HP-23 at an auction.  Turns out that it had likely NEVER
worked.  One of the diodes was reversed in by the kit builder.  I am
assuming it had  blown fuses each time it was switched on and the
builder gave up.  Was a good purchase for me since the components
were never used.

I assume you know that those caps can hold a lethal charge even with
the unit unplugged. Discharge those caps.  Make sure the bleeders are
doing their job.

Be careful. The HP-23 circuit is quite simple but if you have no
experience with high voltage doubler supplies, find a local "Elmer"
mentor.

73,

Rich

Boatanchor pix