DZKit announces Sienna Transceiver

BMW wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Sun May 15 11:05:53 EDT 2005

Many of you on this list know that I have been trying to re-start Heathkit.
When the current board of The Heathkit Company told me that they had toyed
with the idea but would prefer to partner with an existing company if they
decided to do it, I knew that I would have to do this myself. There aren't
too many left there who remember the glory days of Heath and who could
re-build the company using today's technology. And I don't think partnering
will work. They tried that with Yaesu in their waning years and it just
didn't work.

So, a couple of years ago, amid layoffs at Agilent, I decided that as a
hedge against being laid off I would try to create a Heathkit-like company
using my 32-year-long experience at HP/Agilent to guide me.  Well, I didn't
get laid off (dang!), but continued developing a new kit business on the
side, with Agilent's permission. Now, as I prepare to retire from Agilent
next year, I am finally ready to announce DZKit and its first product.

The first in hopefully a long line of new products will hit the streets
officially in a couple months, but I can't resist the chance to show it off
at the Dayton Hamvention next week. So, even though it's not released yet,
I'm taking the chance and pre-introducing it. I'll be able to take orders,
but will not be accepting any money until the product is officially
released. If you're going to Dayton, look for me in the North Hall at booths
177,178,189,190.

The product is called the Sienna, named in honor of my much-loved 12-year
old Collie who died last summer.

It's a fun kit, but no corners have been cut to make it one. There are 10
boards in the unit - 2 OEM (the PC and the LDG Z-100 tuner), 4 pre-assembled
by us (RF amp, low/high-pass filters, controller, audio amp) using a heavy
amount of surface mount technology, and 4 that the kitbuilder gets to build.
Those last four are the front panel, IF, IF filter and DC power distribution
boards, all through-hole.

It's pricy, but for what you get, much less than a comparable assembled rig.
Isn't that what Heathkit was all about?

Please visit www.dzkit.com and let me know what you think.

73,

Brian Wood, W0DZ