[Fwd: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] VTVM test lead]

Ron ra.ah at RCN.COM
Sun May 15 16:12:32 EDT 2005

G. Beat wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Leonard"
> <radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM>

Consider using a stereo plug with the ring contact
clipped off. I am not sure what the effective
voltage rating will be, but it should be about
twice the rating between ring and sleeve.

> Not avaialble.
> Could Switchcraft mfg it ? ... Yes, BUT the minimum $$ is high for
> set-up for such a production run.
>
> I have also researched locating the threaded alligator clip that went on
> the tip of the original Heath probe.  No current test lead/clip mfg.
> (e.g. Mueller, others) produces these in the 4-40 thread (large threads
> - yes).

Heathkit shipped two kinds of probes for the VTVM. One
had a solid tip with a rubber sleeve. The tip was
notched just under the sleeve, so it was possible to
hang the probe on a wire resting on the notch, with the
sleeve holding it in place. The other kind had an
external thread and came with an internally threaded
alligator clip.

I am not sure which kind came first. I have only seen
one probe with the alligator. It came with an IM-28 that
I have just parted to cannibalize the meter. All other
probes I have seen (including a bunch of IM-13s that I
assembled in the early 70s) had the rubber sleeve.

-- Ron