AR-1500 Receiver w/poor illumination

G. Beat gregory.beat at COMCAST.NET
Tue Nov 1 17:00:17 EST 2005

Don -

Unless you went to an LED solution that may produce more lumens,there are only 2 candidate bulbs that produce more light than a # 44 bulb

CM1810, but requries more current 400 mA - SAME life (3000 hours)
CM238, but requires more current 500 mA - and LESS life (2000 hours)

Greg, w9gb
=====================================
Useful references for replacement of incandescent bulbs
Chicago Miniature Lamp, Inc. (now referred to as CMLI)
CMLI Incandescent products
http://www.chml.com/electric/incan_01.cfm

Incandescent Application / Tech Notes
(BTW, Everyone on the Heath list should look at this great technical document)
http://www.chml.com/assets/databookpdf/Incan_Tech_Notes.pdf

Minature & subminature bulbs
http://www.chml.com/electric/display.cfm?type=Incandescent&style=MiniSubMini&Substyle=null

T-3 1/4 miniature bayonet base bulbs
Page 1
http://www.chml.com/assets/databookpdf/2-53.pdf

Page 2
http://www.chml.com/assets/databookpdf/2-54.pdf

MSCP  The mean spherical candle power is the average luminous intensity of a lamp in all directions. The measurement is made by placing the lamp at the center of an integrating sphere. This averages the light coming from the lamp over the sphere's surface. The luminance of the sphere surface is then measured.  if the light distribution from a lamp were equal in all directions, a lamp with an MSCP of one would also measure one footcandle at one foot distance. The inverse square law would apply for distances other than one foot. MSCP is directly related to lumens, as 4ð x MSCP=lumens.

Life  Of all the operating characteristics, lamp life is the least predictable. Exact life performance to burnout cannot be determined for any incandescent lamp under any set of conditions. The lamp filament must deteriorate to produce illumination, and actual life is a function of this deterioration.  Life is defined as the point at which the lamp fails to light.  Rated lamp life figures are usually determined mathematically as the point at which the filament wire weight has been reduced by ten percent.