HP-13A drops HV under load

John Barrett ke5crp at COMCAST.NET
Mon Nov 21 02:58:48 EST 2005

I've got an HP-13A 12v input power supply for my HW-101. The supply checks
out with correct voltages when not connected to the radio, but when
connected, the 12v chopper fails to start and I get no HV output. Also,
occasionaly the chopper fails to start without a load.

I'm thinking I've got a bad capacitor in one of the chopper sections, but
cant see any obvious signs of a distressed component.... I've checked
everything as recommended in the manual except for disconnectiong the toroid
and checking continuity of the windings (which I doubt is the problem as I
do get good outputs so long as there is no load)

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might have gone wrong or what to check
next much appreciated !!

John KE5CRP Barrett