SB-1000 Problem

Rinkie & Ron Pollack rinkies at ADELPHIA.NET
Mon Nov 28 13:28:11 EST 2005

First, thanks to all who replied to my question of keying this amp directly
or through a relay.  The consensus is that I should use a relay, but I
finally found in the circuit description that the coil is 12 volts, so I'd
probably be ok.

But first, I have to get the beast working!  I got it several months ago,
and it hasn't been used for about a year.  When I power up, with the switch
on standby, I get the 3100 volts specified in the manual.  When I go to
"operate," with nothing plugged in the back relay socket, I hear a relay
close, plate current reads about 100 mils, and the fuse blows after a few
seconds.   Since the high voltage can stay on without the fuse blowing, I
think the filter caps are ok. From the diagram, it doesn't seem that the
relay should close with the relay line open.  I'm not experienced with amps,
so any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

Ron K2RP