6m AM and 2m AM Activity

Stephen Tetorka StephenTetorka at CS.COM
Tue Oct 4 09:25:38 EDT 2005

Hello Brian, Allen et al.

Timely note.
A few of us here in Jerzee are trying to get a 2 meter AM thing going.
Number one issue is getting a proper antenna at the various QTH's.

Also - on the subject of the Ameco TX-62...I've got one.
I also have the VFO-621 which is the question...which is: do various
production units put out different output frequencies?
The VFO manual says its osc. is at 12-13 MHz...doubling to 24-26 MHz for the
TX-62 to use.

My VFO osc. at 7.050 +/- and doubles to 14.1 +/-.
I"ve spent numerous evenings with it on the bench...nada for 24 - 26 out.

Then...I read the TX-62 manual.
It says "The VFO must be capable of delivering between 7 and 14 volts at 8Mc
to 9Mc.  However, the VFO frequency is not limited to 8 Mc to 9 Mc.  Equally
satisfactory is a VFO that delivers 2.5 to 5 volts at 12 Mc. to 13.5 Mc, or 1.0
to 2.0 volts at 24 Mc to 27 Mc.  The 24 Mc to 27 Mc. VFO is the best one to
use. "

The TX-62 uses a 8 to 9 Mc xtal with the osc. plate tuned to 24 Mc. to 27 Mc.

Therefore, it seems like the osc. input DOES NOT determine the osc.
output...and the various VFO output frequencies can be used.

I'm not used to things kind of things happening.
Might you ( or other thoughtful person ) enlighten me on this phenomena?

Warm regards,
Steve
WA2TAK