Steve Jobs on Heathkit

Eric Pierce eric_pierce at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Oct 7 12:37:44 EDT 2005

Quote from Steve Jobs, Co-Founder of Apple computer

"I got to know this man, whose name was Larry Lang, and he taught me a lot of electronics.

He used to build Heathkits. Heathkits were really great. Heathkits were these products that you would buy in kit form...

These Heathkits would come with these detailed manuals about how to put this thing together and all the parts would be laid out in a certain way and color coded. You'd actually build this thing yourself.

I would say that this gave one several things. It gave one a understanding of what was inside a finished product and how it worked because it would include a theory of operation but maybe even more importantly it gave one the sense that one could build the things that one saw around oneself in the universe.

These things were not mysteries anymore. I mean you looked at a television set you would think that "I haven't built one of those but I could. There's one of those in the Heathkit catalog and I've built two other Heathkits so I could build that."

Things became much more clear that they were the results of human creation not these magical things that just appeared in one's environment that one had no knowledge of their interiors. It gave a tremendous level of self-confidence, that through exploration and learning one could understand seemingly very complex things in one's environment. My childhood was very fortunate in that
way."