Chippewa KL-1 meter needed

Bill Horne bill at HORNE.NET
Sun Oct 9 13:30:43 EDT 2005

Gene A. Nailon wrote:

>FROM: Gene Nailon  K5DLE
>Edmond, OK
>
>Hello Bill;
>
>What kind of a problem are you having with the meter?

My son took a hammer to it. He was facing the other direction, and
aiming for a nail, but the backswing was dead on.

Debates about whether my child should have chosen my ham shack as a
place to build his dad's birthday present are left as an exercise for
the reader. ;-)

>I've had a KL-1 for 25 or more years now.  I had a problem
>with the plate meter where it would give wild readings that had
>nothing to do with the plate current.
>It turned out to be electro static defelection of the needle caused by
>the HV on the meter.  The meter was just perfect on low voltage DC.
>
>The cure was to move the meter to the ground side of the circuit!
>
>It has been a long time since I did this.  You have to put the meter in
>the ground side of the filiments.  You make a cathode meter out of it.
>Of course the tubes have no cathodes, but they have filiments.  HI
>
>No more problems.
>
>I don't know if that's your problem or not.
>
>I think the meter is Mfg by Ideal Precesion and they are still in
>buisness.
>
>RTO Electronics              (616) 468-7780
>7280 Territorial Rd          http://www.rtoham.com
>Benton Harbor, MI  49022     hamtech at rtoham.com
>
>Ideal Precision Meter Co.    (718) 383-6904
>214 Franklin St              (718) 383-5522 FAX
>Brooklyn, NY  11222          http://www.idealprecisionmeter.com
>                             idealmeter at aol.com
>Best regards,
>
>Gene

Thanks for the info: I'll check them out.

I'm trying to get this on the air for the first time: it's been in my
cellar for a while, and I finally have found the time to tend to some
ham radio again, but I bought it from another ham and I've never used
it, so all suggestions are welcome.

73, Bill W1AC

--
E. WIlliam Horne