Sixer Question

Mr Joseph Lankford II du1_ks4dk at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 14 11:02:40 EDT 2005

> Hi There:  I recently purchased a sixer. When it
> arrived I took it out of the case and noticed it had
> a 6300 crystal in it. The front panel shows it being
> a HW-29A. Were some sixers made in transition to the
> HW-29A shipped out with the HW-29 parts with the
> HW-29A panel?  I'm not sure what I have. A HW-29 or
> HW-29A. Can someone help me out here?  Thanks.  Gary
> WA9FM

Hi Gary,

The first stage in the sixer is an oscillator-tripler,
next stage is a doubler. By using 8 Mhz XTAL and
multiplying be 6, you end up with a 50 Mhz signal.

The sixer and many of the six meter rigs of that
period can be made to work with 6 Mhz XTALs. In this
case the first stage becomes an oscillator-quadrupler.
Thus multiplying by 8. 6.3Mhz XTAL X 8 = 50.4 Mhz.

Have fun with the sixer. There is nothing like a rush
box (regenerative receiver).

73,
JJ  DU1/KS4DK

http://mail.yahoo.com