SB-401 question

Alan KB7MBI ARDUJENSKI at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 24 19:00:58 EDT 2005

A friend of mine is going thru my SB-401 I had purchased to check it out  and
align for me as my eyesight is deteriorating. This is what he found:
I started forming up the electrolytics on the 401 this morning.  About
half way through it I noticed that the LV power supply choke was
overheating.  I shut down and found a low resistance (26 ohms) from the
output of the LV PS to ground.  I started tracing it through the wiring
harness and sure enough, it led to a slightly roasted looking RF choke
I'd noticed earlier during the visual exam.

The problem turned out to  be a 2700 pf dipped mica capacitor (it is 300v and
2% tolerance) that had  shorted.  That cap was between a lug of the
bandswitch and ground, and
the amazing thing is that it is only switched in when on the 75m band.
It is just dumb luck that I happened to put the BS on 75 when I started
bringing up the electrolytics.

The capacitor is used in part of the neutralization circuit for 75
meters only.  So it is not clear to me that it really needs that tight  a
tolerance.

QUESTION: Any advice on replacement regarding value and tolerance? Anyone
have one that I could send you a few BUX for it?

Alan  KB7MBI
Woodinville, WA
Member ARRL / ARCI / ARS / FISTS /  NAQCC