DX-60 Kit: Modern Equivalents

BMW wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Sat Sep 10 13:04:11 EDT 2005

I'd use the same kind for all but the tubular. Those are probably paper and
have changed value. Depending on frequency, I would replace them with
polystyrene or polypropylene (for LF/audio) or disk ceramic (for HF). Not
sure about feed-through. Those were probably ceramic. You probably already
know you should also replace all the electrolytics if you can. The cans may
be kind of hard to replace. If they aren't leaking, hook them up  to a power
supply in an RC configuration and measure the time constant, then calculate
their capacitance. If they check out, go ahead and use them! Or else gut
them and put some modern tubular electrolytics inside.

You should ohm out the resistors, too. It might be hard to find 1/2, 1, 5
and 10W resistors in the values they used back then. Check Mouser and
DigiKey. You may be able to use a lot of the existing resistors, though. Run
some current through them and see if they change value as they heat up.

Brian, W0DZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of paul hendershott
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 8:08 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] DX-60 Kit: Modern Equivalents

Hi Folks! I will be building (yes, and no doubt lowering the value of) a
Heath DX-60 xmtr kit. I want to order all new resistors and capacitors and
replace them with their modern equivalents. There are a few different types
of caps I need help with. What should i replace the following Cap types
with?

Molded Mica
Silver Mica
Disc Ceramic