SB-102 LMO Question

Bob Krassa bob at KRASSA.COM
Mon Sep 26 16:39:32 EDT 2005

I have just acquired an SB-102 with a tube type LMO - it appears to be a
stock SB-102 in all other respects - board numbers match the manual,
etc...my questions that I hope someone can help with are:

1. Without taking the LMO apart (and the little red paint dabs on the screws
are unbroken), is there some way to tell if this is the LMO from the SB-101
where the tube serves as the oscillator, or if it is the one from the HW-101
where there is an internal FET oscillator and the tube is just the LMO
amplifier?  I would like to know before I apply power as the tube that came
sitting on the LMO is a 6BZ6 which is not on the schematic for either of the
above!  This LMO is stamped TRW with the following numbers:  110-32, 800631,
118 and 2736626C.  I suspect but would like to confirm that the 110-32 is
the part number, and also suspect this means it is the one from the HW-101
since the SB-101 on BAMA shows the LMO for the SB-101 as 110-40.

2.  My follow up question is whether it is possible that this SB-102 was
originally built this way?  It has stickers that it was serviced at Heath in
1985 and by RTO in 1994 so I suppose the LMO could have been switched out at
those occasions.

Will appreciate any info or advice!

Bob  KC0TDS