SB-401 Excess Grid Drive

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 26 15:35:16 EDT 2006

The balance modulator is probably out of null either because of faulty
adjustment or bad parts. Most likely the 200 ohm balance pot. This part
is infamous for opening up.

The fix is to replace the 200 pot with a .25 x .25 multiturn trim pot
mounted on the top side of the board. These parts come in serveral
styles; the one you want has the three leads in line out the bottom and
the trim screw straight out the top.

While you are there you should replace the 220 end resistors and the
diodes with 1N5711 Schottkey diodes.

These parts are all available from Mouser;
 the pots at http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/530.pdf
the diodes at http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/352.pdf

73, Stu W6CUX