Basic Meter Theory

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 11 23:57:04 EDT 2006

FWIW, a rule of thumb is that most meters drop about 0.3 volts. What is the
FS mA of the new meter?

Example:

Old meter
mA 5
Ohms 60
New meter
mA 23
Ohms 150

So add 100 ohms in parallel.

Neil

----- Original Message -----
From: "DavidGriffin" davidgriffin at CISBEC.NET

Hi folks,

Can't remember my basic meter resistance theory.  Want to replace a meter
that would normally read 5 ma with another meter of a different f.s.    Can
someone please point me to a basic tutorial on the net in regards to this?
I seem to remember some years ago calculating and/or measuring meter
resistance and using formulae to calculate resistors, etc.  But the mind is
rapidly deteriorating.

Thanks,

Dave
n2chi