6146 Replacement

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Aug 27 14:40:51 EDT 2006

On 27 Aug 2006 at 12:32, Tom Bridgers wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> Now that sounds like fun.  Sure would like to hear what happened when
> you subsituted a 4x150A for a 6146 in a DX-40.

It was in my first transmitter; a DX-35.

>  Wow!  How did you keep
> the 4x150a cool? Thanks, -Tom

I used a loctal socket for the tube, and hung a blower on wires from the
floor joists above, left the outer case off the transmitter, and directed
the air DOWN through the fins.

Power input to the 4X150A was identical with that for the 6146 or 6293.
It acted completely normally.

It worked well enough, but there was no real advantage to doing it, so
after I used if for a week or two, I pulled that out, reinstalled an octal
socket, and installed a 6293.

Then left it alone after that.

It was a possibly interesting experiment, but had no real practical use.

But I didn't know any better. I was somewhere around 13 or 14 years
old at the time and was still a newbie.

:-)

Ken W7EKB