Heath Voltmeter Probes

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Dec 17 12:26:47 EST 2006

Donley wrote:

>I have several Heath VTVMs, all missing or have broken, the red and black plastic probes. Does anyone know where to get these hollow tubes with internal threads on one end to take the two-piece threaded metal probe tip? I would like the probe tips to be included, unless you know of a source for those also. They need to be hollow so that I can insert the isolation resistor in series with the meter.
>
>Come to think of it, all of my other types of meters and test equipment are also missing these probes.
>
>KC9UB

Mouser may have what you want in these links.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1772.pdf   p/n 17PR122
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300819.pdf

The resistor or wire lead is attached by soldering into a well on the
metal probe which is not the way you described but it will work. I used
a drill to cut through the nickel plating and make the soldering easier.
The DCProbe used on the Heathkit VTVMs has to withstand 1500VDC which is
proably beyond the rating of most current phone plugs. I recommend a
military PL-55 here. (No, I don't have any spares.)

73, Stu W6CUX
one-half a century a ham.