HW-12A alignment??

Jerry Kitterman W9CTB-1 at PEOPLEPC.COM
Tue Feb 7 13:03:20 EST 2006

I'am trying to rejuvenate an old hw-12a and I'm using a partial manual that came with it. On page 39 it says to refer to Fig. 1-1 which is a fold out from page 28 which I do not have.
When setting the controls for the receiver alignment it calls for setting the tune level at half rotation. Then skipping down when you turn the function switch to PTT or ON it says to watch to see that the meter remains at zero, which mine does and tells me that I don't have any bias circuit problems or shorts.
NOW, it says to place the meter switch in the operate tune position and adjust the S meter Adj control for a zero indication on the meter. Of course I had my speaker and dummy load attached.
What sense does it make to set the meter at zero when you know it's gonna show output with the tune control set at midrange per the earlier instructions? Looks like the tune control would be at zero for this operation?  Just does not make a bit of sense to me but then I don't have the complete manual and maybe that's causing me problems? I'm kinda stuck here and appreciate any help if anyone can make heads or tails out of my explanation of my problem. TIA and 73

Jerry...W9CTB