HR-10 worthwhile mods

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Wed Feb 8 22:31:32 EST 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Allen Jones wrote:

> My latest project is an HR-10 which has been sitting
> in a closet for several years.  It seems to work well
> but I need to restring the dial.
>
> Any suggestions for worthwhile mods that don't require
> hole drilling?  I believe adding voltage regulation to
> the HFO is advised.

There were a bunch of mods listed in a 73 magazine article. I think
it was the February 1972 issue, maybe it was November 1972. Can't
remember.

If I can remember the mods, it consisted of replacing the 6X4 with
silicon rectifiers, an improved audio-derived AGC system using
silicon diodes, 0A2 regulation of the BFO and HFO. It did require one
hole to be drilled in the chassis to accomodate the 0A2.

I made these mods back in 1975, when I had an HR-10B. The AGC was a
vast improvement, and stability was much improved with the 0A2.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901