HR-10 worthwhile mods

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Thu Feb 9 13:23:05 EST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 12:49 PM, jimbristol wrote:

> OK you guys... I just can't stand it any longer... Everybody here
> in the
> Twin Cities calls me a weenie for loving my DX-60A/HR-10/HG-10...

Jim, you're a weenie.... <grin>

> I love CW
> and back in 1964 when I bought and built the darn thing I worked 17
> states
> in the first week after it was done and I thought I was God... I
> have made
> all kinds of mods plus redesigned it for complete QSK operation...
> If I'm
> sending at 20 words per min and someone wants to break me with a
> dit or a
> dah then can do it... TR switch to protect the receiver and the
> whole nine
> yards...

The DX-60 isn't a bad MOPA rig for around 50 watts out, and the
HG-10, although a bit drifty by modern standards, isn't too bad, either.

What I don't get is the love for the HR-10. My HR-10B had an IF as
wide as a barn. It was ok for AM reception, but it was kinda wide for
SSB, and really broad for CW work.

I tried swapping IF crystals with my brother's HR-10B - using two
crystals of the same frequency. But then the IF would break into
oscillation. I never could figure out how to stop that, so I gave up
on that mod.

That said, the mods from the November 1972 73 magazine were a big
improvement. I sold my HR-10B years ago, but I do have some good
memories copying CW off the air in order to get my code speed up.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901