HR-10 worthwhile mods

Goss, Ed Ed.Goss at JHUAPL.EDU
Sat Feb 11 19:07:42 EST 2006

I never had any trouble with drift using my HG-10B and DX-60B, but I did have a problem with chirp on CW.  It was very slight, but I could never get the VFO to stop pulling slightly upon key down.  I did adjust the dropping resistor (per the manual) in the VFO regulator circuit with no effect on the slight chirp.  Using a crystal for frequency control sounded just perfect.
--Ed G--

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List on behalf of Brian Carling
Sent: Sat 2/11/2006 4:31 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] HR-10 worthwhile mods

On 9 Feb 2006 at 13:23, Bill Coleman wrote:

> The DX-60 isn't a bad MOPA rig for around 50 watts out, and the
> HG-10, although a bit drifty by modern standards, isn't too bad, either.

The DX60 is actually a three stage rig:
6CL6 - 6CL6 - 6146

and a very fine one at that, in my opinion!
The HG10B makes for a relatiovely styable VFO compared
to most others of that era.  I worked a guy the other day who
was using an HG10B/DX60 set-up and I could not perceive
any drift whatsoever throughout our 40m CW QSO.
Now maybe if we had been on 15m or 10m it might have
been another story!

73 de AF4K, Bry